i don't know about chemo, but i know radiation. I had 30 over 6 and a half weeks. He should eat as much as possible now. I lost 70 lbs, 25 lbs from surgery and 45 from radiation, and it wasn't good weight, it was all muscle.
He will more then likely end up on a peg feeding tube. It's very rare that anyone can make it through radiation of the mouth/neck area without using the peg tube. He will get sores on his tongue/cheek/throat. I would keep a close eye on him and make sure to talk to the doctor about peg tube and get all info for it before he needs it. I went 12 days without any nourishment before they put a picc line in me, and then 2 days later the peg cuz they couldn't get it in me before. Almost might be better to get the peg tube sooner rather then later but that's up to both of you.

Also i am wondering. How do they know for sure it's in the lymph nodes? For me they did a scan and saw that my lymph nodes were enlarged, but they didn't know for sure until they removed them and tested them. Did they biopsy a piece of his lymph nodes? or i guess maybe they are just assuming it's there due to the spread to the other locations.

I wish you both as smooth of a ride with this as possible, and hopefully he doesn't have all the side effects i had with mine.

He will need you there by his side for sure. I give full credit to me making it through radiation to my boyfriend who was there for me one hundred percent throughout my battle.

If you have any questions about anything going on with radiation, ask away and i will do my best to answer.

And i know this isn't very positive, but it's some things i wish someone would have told me before going through radiation. Really the only positive i can think of about radiation, is i am still alive today!

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010