There are no symptoms, per se, to oral HPV related cancer as the cancer can go undetected until it is Staged a III or even a IV. Most times and I say that with some hesitation, patients first notice a non painful lump on one side of their neck which leads to some biopsy OR they notice a "difference" in the back of their throat or tonsils and again a biopsy follows. The typical Oral HPV patient is a white male (younger than most non HPV oral patients) with a Primary in either the base of tongue or tonsils and again, usually by the time it is discovered, it has already spread to a node or 2 on the same side of the Primary.

Re transmission....HPV is extremely contagious and may easily be transmitted to the oral cavity by French kissing, mouth to vagina or any other means that collect cells in the vagina and transmits them to one's oral cavity (you can be creative here). This all assumes an HPV presence in the other person.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.