Hmm, sweet tasting saliva? Sounds familiar, but I had this more than four years before the cancer and got it under control. Then, about five months after treatment I recognized that the lingering taste I had was not totally new to me. I ran my thoughts past my ENT and sure enough, it was LPR or laryngeal pharyngeal reflux again.

It took me forever to get the first diagnosis because, except for ENTs, most doctors don�t look for this. Unlike common reflux, which is caused by a weak lower esophageal valve (LES), this is caused by a weak upper esophageal valve (UES). This is not a common reflux and heart burn is not usually a side effect. It does give you a feeling of sinus drainage down your throat (Brian you mentioned this) and can intensify or mimic the effects of allergies. The drainage is always white or clear and never gives an indication of infection. Another key symptom is constant throat clearing, coughing or hoarseness. It takes a lot less acid to burn your larynx than your esophagus and this is what causes LPR.

I�m not saying this is what you have, but Google �LPR reflux UES� and you will find a lot of info about this. Read it and make up your own mind. With the radiation we�ve had to this area, LES damage is possible. LPR is hard to get rid of, but you can do it. Mine returned after the radiation and chemo and I am just starting to get it under control again.

Here is what I�ve done both times to get it under control:
  • Take a PPI twice a day (First time insurance OK�d protonix 2x a day, this time it�s protonix in the a.m. and prilosec about 3:30 in the afternoon)
  • Don�t eat two or more hours before bed. (very important at first)
  • Don�t overeat.
  • Sleep with your head elevated from below your shoulders. Not just from your neck.
  • Avoid caffeine and alcohol. (I drink two cups of half/caf, but with food)
  • I�ve also found that it�s best not to skip meals and if you think you may be getting a little acidic it helps to eat something baked or a piece of bread.
I�ve also found that it�s best not to skip meals and if you think you may be getting a little acidic it helps to eat something baked or a piece of bread.

The two PPIs is standard because 14 hours is the usual time a PPI lasts. I took one protonix for about 3 months this time because of insurance refusing to pay for two and did not have any improvement. About three months ago my doc said to add the prilosec in the afternoon. This has helped a lot.

One thing I blame for the recurrence is that I started eating a lot of ice cream when I started eating again. A 2- or 3-scoop bowl near bedtime on a daily basis made me feel good. It was one of the few things that tasted OK and felt good going down. I�ve now returned to my yogurt and walnuts snack I was having before the cancer.

Please Note: It can take up to 6 months to go away. It is a two step forward, one step back process. The first time I had this I weaned myself down to one protonix a day and then one prilosec OTC a day. It takes a long time for pharyngeal wounds to heal (as if I have to tell this group).

I hope this helps someone. I can�t say that this is what you have, but you might ask your ENTs to scope you and check your vocal chords. There are several LPR forums out there too.

57 @ Dx, Stg IV BOT (1.5cm), lymph nodes (lrgst 2.5cm), non-smoker, casual drinker and exercise nut, Cisplatin x 2, Erbetux w/IMRT x 35/70Gy, PEG, Treated in San Antonio @ CTRC 12/16/08-1/27/09.
3/5/09-CT
6/12/09-PET, PEG out
12/1/09-CT
12/6/10-PET
12-8/11-CT
1-4/13-CT
(all clean)