Eileen -- Well, the short answer is yes, I am having problems. I try not to be the subject of stuff here, as we are all so unique. I also want new posters to get the simplicity of the idea, that complications as a result of the extremely harsh treatments most of us have are a reality long term, but given the alternative (not living long term) they are just another one of life's issues to be dealt with. It can be discouraging in your initial fight to think that there is more crap down the road and life will never be the same. Not the same, does not mean horrible.

It won't be the same. That's a fact. For some it is harder than others. Since I went through radiation back when Moby Dick was a minnow, there was no vital structure sparing IMRT or anything like it. I have significant radiation induced issues that have gotten worse as time has passed. My dysphagia has gotten significantly worse. What happens is the radiation damaged the nerves that control the swallowing movements, and that damage manifests itself more and more as the years go by. Gotta love getting nuked. I am now 11 years out. My carotids are full of radiation induced scar tissue which has serious issues, I have discussed this here before. My swallowing issue is getting to a serious point. I cannot control the right side of my mouth or face from radiation induced nerve damage. (It's weird that when I talk only the left side of my mouth moves.... it's kinda creepy looking but people understand me). I have radiation induced sleep apnea from chronic sinitisus and the resulting discharge, that does not allow me to sleep more than a few minutes at a time which is not controllable. There's more. But I try not to whine when others are having more serious problems, or losing their battle completely.

Suffice it to say that radiation induced damages manifest themselves over many years, get progressively worse, do not get better, and it's part of the deal of having lived this decade that no one expected possible for me. It's an adjustment in attitude, which is the only thing I can control, combined with symptom treatment not resolution. A little bit longer and my use by date will have passed. Something else will get me, and I just try to stay focus on my mission at OCF till then.

Newbies. Don't pay any attention to this post. Don't let long term issues discourage you or make you doubt the value of getting through SURVIVAL first. My life is full, rich, and I am living a charmed existence. You have to be alive to have the side effects that I have. Keep that in perspective.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.