And I thought I was alone. For about 6 months I have been trying to figure out this crap I have constantly in my mouth and the cause. I've been to many doctors to include ENTs, gastro drs., allergists, infectious disease drs., and more. During and after my chemo and radiation treatments (Jan 08)and about 6 months later, I did have the mucus and other things Brian mentioned. Then things sort of let up and I was doing pretty good until about 6 months ago. The mucus now is so different from what I had earlier, I refused to associate it with my treatments. Now mine is pasty and thicker, tastes putrid sweet, and never goes away no matter what I rinse, brush, drink. It makes me nauseous and I have no appetite. Now, all these doctors, when they find out I had radiation and chemo, say right away that is what is causing the problems. This is the first time I have read where others have problems after many, many years and they just seem to start over again. I still have a few more things to be checked out before I settle for my problem being caused by treatments 2 years ago, and if I find out anything, I'll report to you all. I guess we are all not alike, so everyone probably won't have this happen to them, which is good. Funny thing is even my radiation oncologist told me she had never heard of the "sweet putrid" mucus being associated with oral cancer treatments. So, I guess I am different if that's the cause.
julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile