Posted By: angels1313 Dry mouth - 12-05-2008 03:27 AM
I was reading another post and it mentioned something about a saliva substitute. Is that a prescription medication or something you just purchase over the counter? I have mentioned the extream dryness in my mouth and my RO hasn't said anything about giving me anything or what to do. Thanks, Angel
Posted By: Good1 Re: Dry mouth - 12-05-2008 04:12 AM
I posted something about a prescription product that is a saliva substitute. It is called Capahsol and you just swish and spit. It seems to be helping me, but it does have a salty taste to me. Could just be me since a bunch of my taste buds left with my tongue. There are also pills that can be prescribed, but I have not tried those yet.

There are over the counter products too - Biotene makes one. They are usually in the toothpaste/mouthwash section at Walmart or your pharmacy.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Dry mouth - 12-05-2008 05:01 AM
The medication I was given to increase saliva is called salagen (pilocarpine). I used it throughout RT and for a few months afterwards.

I started using the Biotene products a few years ago and still use them today. My saliva output is pretty good, but still have a wierd taste in my mouth all the time. Probably a permanent side effect.
Posted By: azcallin Re: Dry mouth - 12-05-2008 11:28 AM
i am okay on the saliva part but i still like the biotene products they just feel better after the surgery etc ... they are very soothing

if your RO has not responded with help - then ask again and again and again and again and again - all in the same visit LOL ... make sure they listen hon = tell them you are not moving your lips for practice but you have a concern and need their HELP. YOU are the patient - that does not mean you are there to practice your patience. DEMAND they listen. dont let them leave the room without it

and now why am i so thirsty ... must be reading all this dry mouth stuff LOL ... and now i will go and drink and be up 10 times tonight to go potty and already having trouble sleeping LOL

NIGHT ALL - I hope smile
Posted By: angels1313 Re: Dry mouth - 12-05-2008 03:45 PM
Thanks for the info and good one Rita. I wish I could get my EMT to pay attention. I only have 2 more days of Rads and I will be finished with the rad and chemo.. I can hardly believe it. I will be so happy to find out if all this work has been for the good and has cleared up my cancer. Thank you all for all the information and the kindness you have given to me while I have so many problems. Little ones compared to a lot of people but has been a hard road to travel for me. Angel
Posted By: Pete D Re: Dry mouth - 12-05-2008 06:15 PM
It sure was a relief to me to have the last Nuke'm, Danno! done so I could get on with the business of healing (Even 'tho I knew it would get worse before it got better).
Posted By: EzJim Re: Dry mouth - 12-06-2008 12:34 AM
Angel Walmart is the cheapest place to buy Biotene products. I use the toothpaste too but have no teeth. I brush my mouth with it any where I can reach and then swish the Biotene mouthwash around after for about a minute. I Have no saliva either and might not ever get it back so I just let Biotene stock go higher... LOL and my wallet thinner. The green Biotene wash is 6.97 and the paste about the same.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Dry mouth - 12-07-2008 03:31 PM
I didn't find any use for the Biotene gum until over a year post Tx when all of a sudden I felt like chewing it did replace the constant need for a handy water bottle. Now I continue to chew it daily and I found that Wal Mart is by far the cheapest place to but it. Funny that you have to get it from the Pharmacy dept but well worth the wait in line.

Just remember that our recovery is a constant work in progress so keep trying things that didn't taste good or help in the past.
Posted By: Pete D Re: Dry mouth - 12-07-2008 08:44 PM
My local pharmacy also keeps it inside the work area, not out on a shelf.
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: Dry mouth - 12-08-2008 03:30 AM
I had dry mouth when I first came home and as I healed it seems to be much better even drooling like a st. bernard. Although I never had radiation. I think things are just healing
Posted By: EzJim Re: Dry mouth - 12-11-2008 12:44 AM
The local RiteAid keeps it on the shelf with the mouth wash biotene makes. Dianne. I would like to see the drool like a St Bernard does. lol bet that could make a wet mess.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum