Posted By: EzJim Updates - 02-04-2008 08:35 PM
I had a physical today after rads. Their scales 34 lb loss too. They also checked my mouth and throat. I have blisters on my gums and throat. The Dr ordered some mixture to wash my mouth with. LOL The druggist has the ingredients but has never mixed them. He is calling a bigger drug store so he can get the mix right. I go the 14th to see the OS , the 18th for blood work, the 27th for pre op and the 29th they are going to do the implants.Geez 3 days of sleep . LOL This thing can't hurt much more so I'll grin and bear it.
Posted By: JBNich Re: Updates - 02-04-2008 09:16 PM
Thinking about you bro. Hang in there.
Posted By: Cookey Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 04:25 AM
Dearest Jim

i have to say this even though it pains me to do it

[quote]this cant hurt much more so i'll just grin abd bear it [/quote]

It certainly can hurt much more,and you should NEVER grin and bear it.
Please Jim don't go on trying to do this tough.You keep telling Bren to fight for her pain meds take your own advice sweetie,and get a peg and get a patch,you still have a long way to go and you dont want to be wiped out by pain,fatigue and lack of nutrition.

You know David will be on your case if you dont!!!

take care love liz
Posted By: brenfran25 Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 06:12 AM
Jim,
Practise what you preach, man!
This afyternoon my nurse is coming to re-evaluate my pain-meds-and am going to be totally honest and telling her it's getting past the stage where I can 'grin and bear it'
Tomorrow I have a day free from Optician, Doc, Hospital, Nurses etgc and will be quite happy to spend it in a peaceful drug-induced haze, lying on the couch and watching recordings of NCIS and Two and a Half Men!
Did make myself laugh this morning--a man with a spear going from my chest up through my cheek woke me up and I felt so dire, I thought, 'Hell, what if there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with me?????'
Anyone else get these crazy ironic moments???

What you CAN grin and bear about it Jim is the thought that it's a means to an end--surviving for your lovely family snd friends....in the meantime, let's all do that hippy stuff we missed out in the 60's and get 'spaced-out'--can't wait!!
Take care boyo,
Brenda x
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 10:21 AM
THanks for the encouragement. I do take the pain meds but sometime wait too long. This stuff is teaching me I'm not as tough as I thought. I told the Dr I will do whatever he says and do my best mentally to win this war. With friends like you, how could I possibly not give my best in this skirmish? I'm gonna fight just like Brenda does and let OC know it's not going to control my life or what I can and can't do. I want Robin to look down and say, " Go get em Jim ".
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 10:31 AM
Jimbo,

Is there anyone watching what you consume everyday and making sure you keep up with the "program" ?

If not, maybe you need to report to me each am. LOL

I'm watching you.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 10:42 AM
LOL David, I knew I could count on you to put a smile on my face. And yes sir, I drink my carnation as ordered. LOL.. I don't want you to lose any commissions. I do my damndest to get the nourishments I need daily. I can't afford to keep buying new clothes that fit this new body. Have a great day "Turkey" LOL Damn that devil making me say that.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 11:10 AM
I'm watching you, too, Jim! grin
Posted By: debandbill Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 12:28 PM
Jim,

I am going to get a little tough with you as well re: the nutrition and hydration. It is so important and for me, even as a caregiver, keeping up with how much was consumed per day became a great big haze until I started charting it. Just something as simple as a notepad...write down the hour, ounces or cans consumed and water consumed....if you do water (at least 8 oz) with the VHC everytime(and I mean everytime) you won't have to chart the water.

The combination of your treatment and your pain meds will make keeping up with all of this difficult. Please make this a priority - it will make all the difference. I still say you need a caregiver but I understand that is easier said than done.

Hang in there, Deb
Posted By: Malka Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 01:25 PM
Jim,
If you don't keep up with your nutrition and fluids we will all have to chip in and send David up to be your caregiver.
Malka
Posted By: Cookey Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 02:05 PM
Jim sometimes it is the little throwaway remarks that have the biggest impact.Your comment about Robin had me howling,and you bet your sweet ass he will be watching you.

Learn from his mistakes Jim and listen to all the people here who love you.
wink

Posted By: Dell1064 Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 02:47 PM
Hi Jim,
Thinking of you as you're having rad #7, and chemo #2
Forgive me in advance for pestering you to take care of yourself and do what you need to do to get through treatment so you can get to the steak waiting for you on the other side of it that we know you want! Manage that pain Jim so you can get the nutrition you need, and don't be afraid to ask for help, if your needs aren't met, you aren't asking the right person.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 05:38 PM
LOL Malka. That one had me laughing out loud.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 06:45 PM
You people are so great, it puts tears in my eyes. Especially Cookeys' . The nurse in Rads asked if she could look in my mouth. I opened it and she amost fainted. She called the other nurse to have a look too. This one just winced as if in pain and aked me how in the world I can eat anything. I told her it pained , but I can get some things down if the are almost liquid,, The DR wanted to give me 200 percs but I declined and took a prescription for 100. I stopped at Sam's club coming home and bought a case of Campbells Tomato soup , a case of chicken broth and 2 large boxes of the original club crackers. I already had a can of Daves carnation , a can of checken broth and 1/2 pack of the crackers. Thanks for getting on my back all of you great friends. I knew my mouth hurt but didn't know it was that nasty. ((((hugs for all)))
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 07:26 PM
Good for you, Jim! - sounds like you are staying on top of things. Make sure and keep records so you know how much you take in every day (keeping a record of the outgo is good, too) wink . I know it has got to be pretty awful inside the mouth. My son would not let me even see inside - he even had trouble opening his mouth. I'm sure I would have fainted if I had looked inside. I'm so glad you are a fighter!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 08:14 PM
Jim,

Believe me you wouldn't want me to be your CG!!! I am sympathetic with my female patient but I don't think I would be as tolerate or understanding with a male one so keep me out of this picture or you would call it a horror flick.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 08:21 PM
Done deal Dave LOL.. I think I'll just take Dell 1064 as a CG. Maybe I can handle her punches. You are all right, I do need a CG to look out for me. One day maybe I can find one.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 08:25 PM
Jim,

Don't buy cases of anything for a while, like a year. You will find that what may appeal to you today will nauseate you tomorrow or the next day. You will be going thru some turbulent mouth and even mental changes for the next several months so just go with the flow de jour.

Also Deb mentioned only drinking 8 ozs of water with each can of VHC. That only works if you drink 6 cans which is a stretch. You need to drink 48ozs of water which is 6 eight oz glasses.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 09:24 PM
For sure I drink way more than 48 ozs of water daily. I always did. More like 6 1 PT 9 oz bottles of spring water
Posted By: debandbill Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 09:41 PM
You are right David....48 oz is the magic number and I forgot you were figuring only 4 cans a day...we had to do six. I always snuck in more water during the PEG flush before and after so always exceeded the required amount.

Bottom line is to document what you eat and drink because those dark days just run into one another and you can't make up the missed calories and fluids. You need to see that at 12 noon, you have reached at least 1/3 of your requirements cause the day will fly and you are behind. It was so hard to get Bill's feedings done in between two rad treatments a day especially when the first can in the morning made him weak, faint, and sweaty, making the drive miserable. He toughed thru it though and on chemo days, I would come and go with those cans and chicken soup. It ain't easy, even with a caregiver!

So, Jim, get out your pen and paper and track those calories and ounces!

Deb

Posted By: Dell1064 Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 10:06 PM
Jim's being a sweetie!
He knows how much I wish I could care for my dad, but am denied. Thanks Jim! If we were closer, I would be there, you could count on it!
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-05-2008 11:16 PM
I know you would be here Deb and thanks fo rbeing kind LOL Now for all you calorie and protein counters, I just browned a nice size chuck roast and flavored it, I'll put it in the slow cooker in the morning and let it tenderize all day. It's way too much for me and I hope someone stops and takes most of it. I'm going to grind it , mix it with cheese and relish like ham salad. I have made it before this way and it's delicious, I think I can handle that. Leftover turkey is good this way too.
Posted By: sharlee Re: Updates - 02-06-2008 12:25 AM
Jim

I am thinkin of you during all of this !!

Shar
Posted By: LarrysDaughter Re: Updates - 02-06-2008 03:41 AM
Hi Jim,

Been outta the loop the last couple days and just got caught up on your post. Hang in there sweetie. But remember, you don't have to be tough! It's enough I worry about my Dad getting enough nutrition, I don't want to be worry about you too!!!

Sending you one of my cyber hugs! smile
Posted By: Cookey Re: Updates - 02-06-2008 05:05 AM
Need a carer do you Jim? whats the weather like out there?

((((hug)))
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-06-2008 08:35 AM
The weather the last 2 days has been great for winter. I have been up since 5:30 and it was 56 at that time. Tomorrow back to normal with snow showers mixed with rain. I need more than a giver Also need a brain transplant. LOL I needed that (((HUG ))) too.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-06-2008 08:47 AM
LarrysDaughter. Thanks for the hug. I wish I got it at bedtime so I would have slept better. Been up since 5:30 with this goo in my throat and it's buddy pain. LOL You have enough to worry about with your dad. Ihope he is beginning to heal and feel better. Have you been to see him again? I don't envy you the drive to see him at all. Just gotta give you a (((HUG))))for later. Have a great day..
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Updates - 02-06-2008 10:20 AM
I remember dreading trying to keep up each day so sometimes when I would wake up in the middle of the night I would down a can of "food" and rush back to bed hoping it would stay down and I would get a jump on the rest of the days' requirements. I also had rad first thing it the am which I liked because I always seemed to feel a little better as opposed to later in the day.
Posted By: con Re: Updates - 02-06-2008 11:29 AM
Jim: I was scheduled for rad implants also - had tongue ca about 6 years ago and now reaccurance. PET, MRI and CT all showed ca limited to left side of tongue - where it was before. Had 1/4 of tongue removed 6 years ago and 33 rad external treatments. Was all set for the implants because all the test showed it could be done on the left side, however all of a sudden I have a spot on the right side and at the front floor of my mouth so they delayed treatment until I have the bio which I should have today. The spot on the right side doesn't alarm me as much as the spot on the floor of my mouth. Why did they have to remove your teeth for the implants? Let me know how it goes for you. God be with you.
Con
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-06-2008 11:59 AM
Con, they had to remove my teeth for the implants. The seeds would decay my teeth and cause and infection so therefor the teeth had to go. I sure hope and pray that you do much better and not worry too much. I did and it cost me bigtime until I got it in my thick head that worry was just ruining my life. We have these great friends on here to encourage us thru these hard times and I do like to lean on them. You will be in my prayers.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-06-2008 04:36 PM
David,, did the liquid meals seem to fill you with a bloating feeling right away? I take them as you directed and always have that ready to burp feeling. They leave my mouth with a dry feeling too, so I down a bottle of water right away.
Posted By: Cookey Re: Updates - 02-06-2008 05:15 PM
Robin used to yell at me when i was doing his feeds that he couldn't take any more because he was so bloated.That was the cause of most of his lack of nutrition issues.

Posted By: LarrysDaughter Re: Updates - 02-07-2008 03:25 AM
Hi Jim.

Eh, good and bad news. Tumor is shrinking in throat, which is wonderful that treatments are working but Dad's not doing so great. frown Not getting enough in that dang tube! Nurse told him at radiation today he is getting dehydrated. Lots of phlem too. Went up to see him 3 weeks in a row, skipped last weekend. I needed a break, and Mom said she just wanted to be alone. Wanted to get in her car and go somewhere by herself. Totally understandable. She ended up sitting in her car at the beach listening to music. She said it was the most quiet, tranquil time she has had in months. This has been so hard on her too. This weekend is my 40th birthday, they really want to be here for the big party I am having but can't be. It's hard. I will probably drive up to Los Angeles the following weekend. Thank you for asking, you are so thoughtful.

Jim, I worry about you losing so much weight in such a short amount of time!!! Please take care of yourself, ok? Or we WILL send David over there to whip your booty in shape! HAHA. As always, thinking about you. {{HUGS}}
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Updates - 02-07-2008 09:42 AM
LD,

I can help him but I ain't superman. How does one whip a 100 yr old body into shape?
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-07-2008 10:38 AM
LOL,, I knew there had to be somethin coming from Dave. This 100 yr old body right now looks better than some of the "much" younger ones. It doesn't show what it feels. THat I am glad for. LOL Besides, David would probably injure me either mentally or physically. LOL and steal my VHC. LARRYSDAUGTER , I want to wish you happy 40th so I don't miss it. Are we all invited to your party? David could do your taxes, FREE of course as we partied. LOL I hope your mom's mind is relaxing and giving her a break.
Posted By: brenfran25 Re: Updates - 02-07-2008 03:03 PM
Easiest way to whip ANY man into shape is to take his remote-control away!
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-07-2008 03:15 PM
LOL Brenda, those are fightin words.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-08-2008 12:00 AM
Ok ,, another MRI this coming tue the 12th. That will be a busy day. Rads at 11:15, MRI at 11:45 and chemo at 1:15. gonna be a long day.
Posted By: con Re: Updates - 02-08-2008 11:32 AM
Thanks for responding Jim. I am waiting for the bio on the new spots on the right side of tongue and floor of mouth. It has been 2 months since the dx on the reoccurance and I am a wreck. Dr. gave me time off from work ( I should retire anyway ) but as soon as I get the dx on the new I am going back to work until the treatment actually starts. I don't think my Drs. quite know how to handle this. Have you had the implant yet? What was it like, they told me a couple of ways they could do it. What is your chemo treatment - Please let me know.
Con
Posted By: EzJim Re: Updates - 02-08-2008 04:16 PM
Con, I get the implants the 29th of Feb . I wish I g=had some wisdom for you but am myself wondering about it. All I know for sure is that I will be in space for at least 3 days on pain killers ans isolated, The chemo I get is Erbitux. I wish you all the luck in the world with your treatment and hope the Drs have a plan in place soon.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum