Posted By: Patty E I'm new here - 03-24-2009 10:55 PM
I found this forum after reading an article in Womans Day about oral cancer. I had a place on my tongue for a couple of weeks that did not heal. Called my primary who immedially referred me to ENT. At that appointment he did a biopsy and it came back cancer. After CT and PET scan I had surgery on my tongue. All margins were clear. That was July. He recommend a neck dissection whick I did in November. That came out good also. I am on 3 month followup, but no other treatment was recommended. I felt very lucky at the time, but after finding out more I believe I am extremely lucky. I am almost more scared now than I was then and that is saying something. I am looking forward to learning even more from this forum. Glad I found this.
Posted By: misskate Re: I'm new here - 03-24-2009 11:26 PM
Hi Patty!

Congratulations on having a successful surgery. Hope that you are recovering well.The further out your get from your treatment the less frightening it will be. I got through my 2nd anniversary of surgery this year and it has made such a big difference. I know this site has a wealth of information-- sometimes too much! It sure is an eye opener as to what other people have to deal with and those who have been less fortunate in thier success with treatments. I thank my lucky stars every day.

I'm so glad that you were diagnosed early! It sounds like your doctors are confident that this was taken care of.

LOVE Kate
Posted By: wilckdds Re: I'm new here - 03-25-2009 02:39 AM
Hi Patty,

As you can see from my signature, I am closing in on 4 years after having been treated exactly as you were.

Congratulations and I hope you are back to 100%.

Jerry
Posted By: ChristineB Re: I'm new here - 03-25-2009 04:54 AM
Hi Patty

Welcome to OCF. Sounds like you are one fo the people who was very fortunate to have this caught early so treatment did not need to include chemo and radiation. That is wonderful you have recovered so quickly. Best of luck with your continued good health.
Posted By: EricS Re: I'm new here - 03-25-2009 06:41 AM
Hi Patty and welcome!

Posted By: EzJim Re: I'm new here - 03-25-2009 09:58 AM
Patty, you are a lucky one and hopefully, you won't need any of these other treatments. Good luck gal and welcome to our home.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: I'm new here - 03-25-2009 11:00 AM
Everything you ever wanted to know about this cancer and more is located right here. Sorry that you got it but glad that they caught it early. Was tobacco involved?
Posted By: Deejer47 Re: I'm new here - 03-25-2009 04:46 PM
Good job on getting right on that. Luck works a lot better when you act. Welcome to the board.
Posted By: Patty E Re: I'm new here - 03-25-2009 10:24 PM
Four years, sounds good. I had no idea the scope of this oral cancer thing. I had never heard of anyone that had it until I was diagnoised. Of course, I have heard of several people since. I have a wonderful doctor who on top of it and tells me everytime I see him we will get throught this together. I told him I was counting on it.
Posted By: Patty E Re: I'm new here - 03-25-2009 10:26 PM
Yes I smoked.
Posted By: EzJim Re: I'm new here - 03-25-2009 10:57 PM
I was a smoker for a lot more years than some in here have been alive. That didn't cause my cancer . All I found out that it was a unique cancer. It' s really hard to pin it down I think. Been after my OC for over 2 years.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: I'm new here - 03-25-2009 11:43 PM
Patty,

I assume that is past tense?
Posted By: Good1 Re: I'm new here - 03-27-2009 01:11 AM
Welcome to OCF Patty - I am Patty also and I'm also in IL although I don't know where Lerna is. I am happy to see that you use the past tense "smoked". You were fortunate to catch this early and it is important that you don't return to smoking so that your odds of staying cancer free are better.

You will find tons of information here, tons of support and tons of very caring people. Don't be afraid to nose around and ask questions. We're all in this together.

Patty
Posted By: EzJim Re: I'm new here - 03-27-2009 11:47 AM
I should add that I haven't touched a cigarette since I found out I had OC.
Posted By: BarbT Re: I'm new here - 03-27-2009 11:53 AM
i might add you smoked on the way to the hospital for the rad seed implants...
Posted By: EzJim Re: I'm new here - 03-27-2009 11:56 AM
Barb, I don't even remember that day. If I did I would say I am wrong. You rmember more about that time than I do. You were my eyes ears and guardian angel then, and I thank you for all you did for me and will never forget it.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum