Posted By: HankXavier PET scan results - 01-05-2012 04:13 PM
Just got my official PET scan results and the news is mostly good. Main tumor and previous nodal involvement have resolved. I assume that's because they removed those nodes and/or it wasn't cancer to begin with. However, there is a non-specific area of concern in another place in the throat, the retropharyngeal space, that my team has to discuss and figure out what to do about. They say it has no definitive markers that could indicate what it is one way or the other. I know. Don't panic. It's not uncommon after radiation to have areas of inflammation show up on the PET scan. I have been instructed by Doctors and you guys (who I trust a lot) not to freak out over small but questionable outcomes like this. But I would ask that you keep praying for me until I get the results I want to hear, which is ALL CLEAR!!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: PET scan results - 01-05-2012 05:24 PM
Prayers being said! I'm sure it's just a freaky pet as usual!! Hugs and try not to worry!
Posted By: HankXavier Re: PET scan results - 01-05-2012 06:41 PM
Thanks Cheryl. And there are a few things after reading about it that make me think I am looking at some inflammation of some kind. One, retropharyngeal nodal involvement occurs primarily through areas where I don't have any cancer. The closest is the supraglottic area above the vox cords, epilglottis and BOT and such. Mine was transglottic to subglottic BELOW my vox cords. Also, as I understand it the glottic region of the larynx, which is basically the true vox cords, doesn't have any nodal communication connection. So my cancer would have had to spread up, through the glottic area into the supraglottic area above and THEN spread to the retropharyngeal space. I don't think the scans and images support that. Nothing ever showed anything above the glottic area. In fact that area always looked pretty good. It was the big knot below my vox that was the bugger.

So yea I'm not too worried. In fact except for a few moments here and there, I have not been very worried at all. There have been a few crisis moments where how I was actually feeling (very bad) during treatment was psychologically panic inducing. But when I heard the voice of God say "Trust me" after hearing my MO say what I was looking at wasn't something they could get rid of so well, I have been extraordinarily unafraid. Before that moment I was panicking badly. Sobbing tears all the time, manic up and down swings, rampant fear all day long. I kept uncontrollably repeating the word "cancer" over and over and over in my mind. It was bad. But then God spoke and since that moment it's only been brief spots of mild nervousness here and there.

Posted By: HankXavier Re: PET scan results - 01-12-2012 10:16 PM
They want to biopsy. Knew that was coming.
Posted By: Maria Re: PET scan results - 01-12-2012 10:52 PM
It sounds like they are being cautious about ruling out a problem. Hopefully they can do the biopsy soon and you can put this behind you.
Posted By: Sandy177 Re: PET scan results - 01-13-2012 03:49 AM
Hi HX,

You have tremendous and inspiring faith. Thank you for sharing it. Peace is such an elusive thing. I'm glad that it has come to reside in you through God.

I'll keep you in my prayers, dear brother.

Sandy
xoxox
Posted By: Cheryld Re: PET scan results - 01-13-2012 06:39 AM
Good luck, may it be a quick biopsy - and come back negative! Hugs and god bless!
Posted By: HankXavier Re: PET scan results - 01-20-2012 10:15 PM
my God is good! I guess there was a bit of a misread the hot spot was in a location where I have already known radiation swelling still but initially they thought the hot spot was in a location that is unobservable by scope so thats why they were worried. But my ENT went through the scans with his senior partner and they are certain enough that they know whats lighting up the scans that they don't think I need a biopsy. I'm just praising His name tonight folks! My Doctors under the direction of my Lord are unbeatable. Cancer doesn't have a chance.
Posted By: zengalib Re: PET scan results - 01-20-2012 10:41 PM
Great news, Hank. Always glad to hear that a fellow Buckeye is doing well!
Posted By: samkl Re: PET scan results - 01-21-2012 03:16 AM
Go, Hank !! I've been following your progress and I'm thrilled to bits for you. Very best wishes from Linda XX
Posted By: HankXavier Re: PET scan results - 01-21-2012 04:03 AM
You folks really are angels. This forum has helped me so much. The reassurances, the wealth of info, the compassion.... really. There's going to be a special chapter in the book life about people like you guys.
Posted By: Sandy177 Re: PET scan results - 01-21-2012 07:24 AM
Glad to hear the great news, HX! So very happy for you!
Sandy
xoxox
Posted By: Cheryld Re: PET scan results - 01-21-2012 02:42 PM
Yeah!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: PET scan results - 01-21-2012 04:26 PM
Congrats on the good news!
Posted By: julieann Re: PET scan results - 01-21-2012 07:59 PM
WONDERFUL NEWS, HANK. That is the kind of post we all love to read on this Forum. I pray everything just keeps getting better and better.
julieann
Posted By: EricS Re: PET scan results - 01-21-2012 10:41 PM
Great News Mr. Hanky! Very happy for you!
Posted By: HankXavier Re: PET scan results - 01-22-2012 04:20 AM
yes pray without ceasing.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum