Next Thread
Print Thread
#783 03-01-2003 05:23 PM
rosie Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi everyone,

I remember a couple of you (Joanna?) posting comments about having a neck wattle for awhile after surgery. I'm looking to clarify exactly what you mean by wattle. I'm thinking loose, hanging folds of skin, sort of like a double chin? Am I close? confused

Heather had a partial glossectomy, mandibulotomy and modified radical neck dissection. The surgeon used excess skin from her neck for the flap in her mouth, so she didn't have any wattle. Instead, the neck skin was stretched extremely tight.

Now, 6 months after surgery and 2 months after the end of radiation treatments, she has developed a wattle. But it isn't loose folds of skin. It's more like a hard lump and it is somewhat painful, but it hangs down under her chin like a wattle. I'm assuming this is different than what you guys meant.

It only appeared since she got a cold and has been coughing a lot. She first thought it was from all the coughing. Now, we're thinking possibly an infection.
We do have an appt set with the doc. But, as always, I'm interested in your opinions and experiences.

Thanks in advance, laugh
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
#784 03-01-2003 11:02 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Rosie,

My first thought after reading your post was Heather probably has an infection rather than
"neck wabble." And you're right, it probably has something to do with her having caught a cold. I also remember my first cold after treatment had ceased. It was difficult because my saliva was still thick and things just weren't flowing the way they should have been. I recovered, but the cold hung on a long time. Hoping Heather feels better soon and kudo's to Mom for being such a great caretaker.

SIncerely,
Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#785 03-02-2003 10:48 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Rosie!

Yes, it was probably me complaining about my "turkey wattle" (and when the rad onc doc called it that I nearly went ballistic). This was indeed loose skin, due probably from the incision that split my lower lip and went right down underneath my chin. In what must be classified as a small, personal miracle, one day I looked in the mirror and it was gone! I no longer feel that turtleneck sweaters are a necessary wardrobe item. I think a call to Heather's doc regarding the lump would be in order. It probably is just a side effect of the cold, but it would be nice to be sure. I can echo Donna's comment about you being a first class, A #1 care giver. When the awards are given out, you will be in the front row!
Joanna, applauding

#786 03-07-2003 03:13 PM

Wattle! fantastic... a new word and it got associated with turkeys.

now i know what to call that stuff under my chin after treatment 16 months ago. my neck looked 20 yrs older... but since then it has grown and looks more like younger days...

on the 15th, kathy and i are going to a Wild Turkey Federation dinner here on Delmarva... i see them courting in the fields these days... soon they will take to the bunkers as the spring hunting season gets going.

so i'll just wattle out of here,
be cool,
larryb

Stage IV SSC of mouth&throat found July 01. Simutaneous 35 rad & chemo finished Oct 01. Peg worked fine. Clear ct's & MRI's so no surgery. Eating school Jan-Nov 02. Nonsmoker. Back to biking and kayaking now that strength returns.
#787 03-07-2003 05:25 PM

Hey Larry, I thought Wild Turkey was a beverage. . .

Joanna, wattleless

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics