Hi everyone,

I remember a couple of you (Joanna?) posting comments about having a neck wattle for awhile after surgery. I'm looking to clarify exactly what you mean by wattle. I'm thinking loose, hanging folds of skin, sort of like a double chin? Am I close? confused

Heather had a partial glossectomy, mandibulotomy and modified radical neck dissection. The surgeon used excess skin from her neck for the flap in her mouth, so she didn't have any wattle. Instead, the neck skin was stretched extremely tight.

Now, 6 months after surgery and 2 months after the end of radiation treatments, she has developed a wattle. But it isn't loose folds of skin. It's more like a hard lump and it is somewhat painful, but it hangs down under her chin like a wattle. I'm assuming this is different than what you guys meant.

It only appeared since she got a cold and has been coughing a lot. She first thought it was from all the coughing. Now, we're thinking possibly an infection.
We do have an appt set with the doc. But, as always, I'm interested in your opinions and experiences.

Thanks in advance, laugh
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.