Posted By: rosie Neck wattle? - 03-02-2003 12:23 AM
Hi everyone,

I remember a couple of you (Joanna?) posting comments about having a neck wattle for awhile after surgery. I'm looking to clarify exactly what you mean by wattle. I'm thinking loose, hanging folds of skin, sort of like a double chin? Am I close? confused

Heather had a partial glossectomy, mandibulotomy and modified radical neck dissection. The surgeon used excess skin from her neck for the flap in her mouth, so she didn't have any wattle. Instead, the neck skin was stretched extremely tight.

Now, 6 months after surgery and 2 months after the end of radiation treatments, she has developed a wattle. But it isn't loose folds of skin. It's more like a hard lump and it is somewhat painful, but it hangs down under her chin like a wattle. I'm assuming this is different than what you guys meant.

It only appeared since she got a cold and has been coughing a lot. She first thought it was from all the coughing. Now, we're thinking possibly an infection.
We do have an appt set with the doc. But, as always, I'm interested in your opinions and experiences.

Thanks in advance, laugh
Rosie
Posted By: Donna Re: Neck wattle? - 03-02-2003 06:02 AM
Hi Rosie,

My first thought after reading your post was Heather probably has an infection rather than
"neck wabble." And you're right, it probably has something to do with her having caught a cold. I also remember my first cold after treatment had ceased. It was difficult because my saliva was still thick and things just weren't flowing the way they should have been. I recovered, but the cold hung on a long time. Hoping Heather feels better soon and kudo's to Mom for being such a great caretaker.

SIncerely,
Donna
Posted By: Joanna Re: Neck wattle? - 03-02-2003 05:48 PM
Hi Rosie!

Yes, it was probably me complaining about my "turkey wattle" (and when the rad onc doc called it that I nearly went ballistic). This was indeed loose skin, due probably from the incision that split my lower lip and went right down underneath my chin. In what must be classified as a small, personal miracle, one day I looked in the mirror and it was gone! I no longer feel that turtleneck sweaters are a necessary wardrobe item. I think a call to Heather's doc regarding the lump would be in order. It probably is just a side effect of the cold, but it would be nice to be sure. I can echo Donna's comment about you being a first class, A #1 care giver. When the awards are given out, you will be in the front row!
Joanna, applauding
Posted By: larryb Re: Neck wattle? - 03-07-2003 10:13 PM
Wattle! fantastic... a new word and it got associated with turkeys.

now i know what to call that stuff under my chin after treatment 16 months ago. my neck looked 20 yrs older... but since then it has grown and looks more like younger days...

on the 15th, kathy and i are going to a Wild Turkey Federation dinner here on Delmarva... i see them courting in the fields these days... soon they will take to the bunkers as the spring hunting season gets going.

so i'll just wattle out of here,
be cool,
larryb
Posted By: Joanna Re: Neck wattle? - 03-08-2003 12:25 AM
Hey Larry, I thought Wild Turkey was a beverage. . .

Joanna, wattleless
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum