Mike, I strongly support what Brian is saying. Remember one thing: your physicians specialize! A surgeon in surgery and a radiation oncologist in radiation.... etc. You get the idea.
You do not have to be concerned about potentially upsetting your surgeon. That is the least of your problems.

I did not have a team either but I made damn sure that the surgeon, MO and RO talked! In retrospect I would not recommend it although it worked ok for me (wife is a physician) Even so there were "hiccups" in the treatment.
A comprehensive plan including dental issues before during and after treatment is definitely the way to go. If you have a lot of tiny cancers scattered around then it will be difficult to get them all. I would want to get rid of them all and then start with a hopefully clean slate again rather than waiting for these tiny cancers to develop into something noticeable which you might miss or might migrate somewhere else.

M

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.