From what you have listed, I sure would wonder out loud why exactly, radiation is not being suggested. Even though you are being seen at a CCC did you have a tumor board with several docs considering options? (by the way we are not doctors so view all opinions as advisory from the viewpoint of fellow cancer patients)

Radiation sucks so if you don't really need it be happy about that. My concern is that some docs like the wait and watch approach. That might be great for them but it is NOT for you if it results in reappearance of the cancer. (I did not use recurrence on purpose)

I just re-read your post and caught the last sentence. Sometimes the neck dissection is done to really establish stage. Certainly, RND can be theraputic as well. You are right though radiation is wider in coverage than surgery.

Last edited by Mark; 01-17-2009 09:52 PM. Reason: added paragraph

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.