For most people radiation is a one time event. IMRT has changed this some but even with IMRT the total garys are high and there is a maximum lifetime dose.

You signature doesn't say when and by what kind of doctors you are being seen. In many cases at smaller institutions this kind of plan is not in my layman's opinion a good idea. Recurrences are dicy to get rid of in many people. Big hammer first time out has always been my thinking. Perhaps I'm just not that sophisticated, or perhaps I have seen too many people lost from screwing around with half measures in all this. As to getting it only once, if it gets rid of everything that might cause a recurrence so what? If you are a candidate for multiple primaries, that's another issue. I would have a stronger opinion if you told me you were at a top ten CCC, or if you were are a small regional hospital for which cancer is just part of the menu. There is a lot to be said about the team coming up with the plan. That is the single most important part of any avenue you take.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.