Hi,
I'm new here, and hoping for some insight. My husband finished 14 weeks of chemo and radiation at U of Chicago in June for tongue cancer. He'd had surgery in October, 2007, but it recurred in January when the surgeon did a small laser surgery, but then it came back again. He's had two clean CAT scans since the chemo and radiation finished in June. Now his doctor wants him to take part in a "chemo preventive" clinical trial with a drug called erlotinib hydrochlorid (Tarceva). They want to do a blood test to see if he has a genetic marker to determine if he's at risk for return of the tongue cancer within 2 years. My husband has barely recovered and now this. I don't understand why they want him to take a year's worth of chemo pills (once a day) when he's now cancer free. The drug has been used before with lung cancer patients.

Has anyone else encountered this protocol or have any advice. It would be much appreciated. We just felt like our lives were opening up again and now we are pretty low. Thanks

photoperson