Jenn,
After reading your post and responding it opened up a channel of discussion between my Husband and I on the way to treatment yesterday. I have to say my opening line after filling him in on the content of the posts was," Your not gonna want to do something like THAT are you?" He chuckled, and said no (whew!) but he understood what your husband was trying to express.
He did have a few constructive criticisms about doing cage fighting.
1. Most of the folks in those cages are way out of control and a little bit crazy. and in saying so....
2. There is no guarantee that your husband won't be pummeled instead of doing his own pummeling and that would not boost his ego or help him feel any less emasculated.
and most importantly.....
3. Treatment does weaken the bones in your jaw and face and he could really, really get hurt even if he ended up winning the fight.
After mulling over everything my husband said, he'd like to go out and do something that makes him feel exhilarated and happy to be alive. I was a little scared to ask what. So didn't. Eek! he probably wants to go sky diving or something. Ahem... Did someone mention sex earlier? I'd like to think that when that comes back on track he'd find that, "exhilarating and make him happy to be alive."(well a woman can hope can't she?)
Hang in there Lady. Just keep talking and hopefully he'll come around and find something a little less dangerous to his health. He did just win the ultimate "cage fight" out there. I can't see how he can top that!
After our conversation in the car I have a feeling I'm going to be rolling my eyes and telling my Hubby he's kookier then the Cocoa Puffs Cuckoo bird soon enough myself. Men!

Ija wife-husband 47y healthy nonsmoker,nvr chewed.Dx SCC 01/05 primary left anterior toungue w/2 surgeries 02/05 no rad/chemo recurrence 12/07 no rad/chemo. 07/08/08 modified lt radical neck disection 3 nodes removed 2 pos SCC. TX 090808 taxol & carboplatinx7 radx37 w/ethyol.