JAM, I would love it if you would come and cook for me. I sometimes envy those patients that have caregivers constantly cooking and fixing for them. Now, I'm grateful that I have improved since treatment, but it's all I can do sometimes to do the bare necessities of my house (Ironically nobody ever took over laundry detail) and my children are happy that my husband is no longer trying to cook for them.

Here's the rub, though. It takes almost total focus for me to gather the groceries, spend time on my feet cooking and then having the energy to eat. Right now it's easier for me to just take myself through a drive thru. And I must confess we have quite a few meals out because sometimes I am just too pooped to cook.

I try to keep alot of goodies around to tempt me like ice cream bars, fudgesicles, ice cream, puddings and cheesecake. With three teenagers in the house and a hungry spouse, it's a common thing to go to the kitchen and find out that some rat has eaten ALL of my stuff and only an empty carton remains. I try to buy double on the treats just so when I do go to the freezer or fridge that there is a good chance that I'll have something to nibble on.

They also sometimes forget that I'm not 100% better yet and constantly suggest foods that might cause me problems. Today for lunch, my well intentioned spouse chose a really rough sort of rustic wheat bread that really gave me problems. Anymore, I try to make do with whatever, but sometimes it's tough.

Any patient out there that has a spouse who can cook and adapt menu items to keep them going is surely a lucky duck to have that sort of support. Then again, I'm glad that I at least have the money and energy to get myself to the grocery store or restaurant when a craving for food hits. Hopefully, now that I'm on the road to recovery, my energy and stamina will once again kick in and I can be the chef again that I use to be. Winter is on it's way and I already cannot wait for winter squash, soups and stews.

Jen

Jen