Bobbie,

I only just noticed the COBRA thread. I'm ashamed that it has taken me so long to notice. You damned right its WRONG and flat out unethical! I am convinced that whatever people put out into the world will come full circle. We may never know the hardships they'll face but I know without a doubt it will bite them...someway. That's karma! You hang tough and perservere. We're all going to get through this one way or another and STILL come out okay.

I don't know your specific circumstances but there may be a catch...

Some things you may wish to investigate...
Was your husband on disability with his company at the time they terminated him? Contact your local department of labor and/or the EEOC regarding his former employer's potential liability for terminating him while disabled.

Secondly, anyone that currently has group coverage - keep group coverage for as long as you can. DO NOT let it laps for any period in excess of 63 days or you will most certainly fall into the pre-existing conditions and waiting periods. If you have come from a group plan to an individual plan - you are subject to any and all exclusions/waiting periods they have written into the plan. Your certificate of insurability means nothing in that case because you are changing plan types. FYI: Most private/individual plans are NOT major medical. Look hard into the details. They usually carry significantly higher deductibles, copays, limited formularies for Rx's, uncovered procedures, etc.

Because I have worked with medical insurance plans as part of my work - I have been mentally going bug-shit (forgive the term) with our situation. (Knowledge is not necessarily power it can make you crazy, too.) Keep your ear to the ground and if insurance companies and employers think they can get away with something - I promise, they'll try. Sorry to sound so cynical but I've learned the hard way...

I empathize with the sense of being so vulnerable. It costs nothing except time to speak with those agencies and they may be able to help alleviate some of the burden/answer some questions.

Caregiver to Uptown/Ed, SCC Stage IV, Base of tongue - Completed Chemo (Cisplatnin/5FU) and 45 days' simultaneous Radiation 10/08/03