David,

I have told him a few times that it does not get better immediately when tx is over, but I am not sure that sunk in yet. He is really looking forward to feeling better and to hopefully being able to enjoy food again.

Our doctor's favorite story was about his boss who had the exact same type of tumor and treatment as Michael. Our doctor says his boss was back in the operating one month after his treatment and surfing three months later. I, at least, have really latched onto that good outcome scenario.

Michael did actually ride along with me on my errands today and we were out for several hours of non-medical time. Nothing really fun, but it was nice to have him along and I think he enjoyed being on a route other than to the cancer center. He even helped me shop a little at the grocery. I keep trying to keep him out of crowded places, but he sneaks in once in a while and I try not to panic. I know I hover and do panic at times when he gets around many people. Not that he isn't potentially being exposed to a lot of extraneous germs at the hospital. Michael used to be our primary grocery shopper and really is much better at it than I am. I do keep telling him how much I did appreciate all the things he used to do that I took for granted.

Barbara

Barbara S
C/G to Michael age 64, stage 1 base of tongue SC cancer and a stage one for a couple lymph nodes, diagnosed 09/12/06, IMRT radiation 10/24/06 to 12/05/06 , last PET / CT scan 11/7/11 - still cancer free!!!