Angie,

I am so sorry your family has to go through this. Ed is right. You definitely should contact the Patient Advocate at the hospital.

I know this isn't going to be what you want to hear and I imagine I will get some flak from posting it, but here goes anyway. I think it is time you consider contacting hospice. One of their biggest goals is to keep the patient as pain-free and comfortable as possible. Most of them are experts at pain control.

I know this will be one of the hardest decisions any of you ever have to make, but it may mean the difference between Kim spending her last days in pain or spending them in some semblance of comfort. And the good thing about hospice is that you can leave it and go back to treatment anytime you want. I assume she kept the appointment with the ENT on Monday. Perhaps the prognosis he gave will help you to decide if hospice is the right choice.

I am still hoping for a miracle for Kim, along with everyone else. I am just sorry to say that the chance of it happening is pretty slim and the main thing now is keeping Kim as comfortable and pain-free as possible. My heart goes out to you all.

Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.