Angie,

I'm so sorry to hear of Kim's deteriorating condition. We were also told that because Heather was young, strong and otherwise healthy, she had a good chance of beating her cancer. But you're right. It just doesn't seem to matter.

The one thing that really jumped out at me from your post was that Kim is in intense pain. She shouldn't be! Her doctors need to be managing her pain better. Please insist that they get the pain under control. She is suffering enough and should not have to deal with constant pain.

I wish I had some words of wisdom or comfort for you. I know you must be in agony watching Kim endure this. I know I wanted so much to be able to help Heather, but there was so little I could do. Just be there for Kim in any way you can, even if only to sit beside her and hold her hand for awhile. She will feel your love and it may bring her some comfort.

Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.