Sorry to hear about this recurrence. I've got a spot on my tongue and go in to the docs next week, so I'm concerned too about recurrence.

In October '03 I had a hemiglossectomy and a radical neck dissection (left side). I had a 10 day hospital stay, 1-2 days in ICU. I had a tracheotomy and did no talking for a week, then slowly learned to speak (saying only a few words)with the trach tube for a few days before having it removed. I used a clipboard and scrap paper to communicate - the wipe board also is a good idea. My husband brought in his laptop computer so I sent a few e-mails to family away from the area, which was nice to do.

I was not allowed to eat or drink any fluids while in the hospital, but I think that was because of the tongue surgery, not the neck dissection.

For me, the troubles associated with the loss of tongue, and later radiation, were worse than the neck dissection area. In the hospital I had enough pain meds so it didn't hurt, but there is loss of mobility for a while and the numbness from my ear to shoulder still exists but continues to diminish with time. I didn't drive a car for about a month after surgery because I couldn't move my neck well enough. Although not on my writing side I did not have any pain or movement trouble below the shoulder area; but I couldn't sleep on that side for a while.

You didn't say where the recuurence is - in lymph nodes/neck?

I'm cheering for you - have strength!
michelle

History of leukoplakia <2001-2004. SCC lateral tongue 9/03; left radical neck dissection & hemiglosectomy 10/03, T2-3,N0M0; 28 IMRT radiation completed 12/03. 30 HBO dives Oct-Nov 04 for infections and bone necrosis -mandible.