Fran,

I'm so sorry to hear you have to confront this again -- I hope this time around is enough to beat it for good!

I had my neck dissection before having radiation, so I can't comment on what it's like to have surgery on an area that has been radiated (but I know others here have done that and hopefully can let you know). All in all, I found the surgery experience much easier to deal with than radiation. I had enough pain medication in the days right after surgery to be able to handle it, and I was able to talk on the phone and start eating soft foods within a few days (although my mouth and neck were still full of stitches). I also had a superb surgical team, including a doctor who was skilled in plastic surgery, who left me with a relatively unobtrusive neck scar. Even though it's almost 6 inches long, it has blended in so much over the years that people who have met me after it healed usually don't know it's there.

The surgeon in charge of my operation warned me in advance that they wouldn't know ahead of time the full extent of what would be necessary, and that I could end up with some permanent nerve damage in my left shoulder and arm (although that did not happen in my case). They removed a significant number of lymph nodes, none of which proved to be cancerous. Since I also had a partial glossectomy at the same time, I think the biggest adjustment for me was getting used to my lopsided tongue and its effect on my speech.

Where are you having your surgery done? Have they told you how long you will need to be in the hospital?

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989