In my opinion, this is where the care giver (spouse, friend, relative etc.) being with you, becomes important. There are many options for pain management. If the one they try changes your behavior too much, the care giver is the first one to notice. They should make the medical staff aware of the problem and suggest (insist on) a change of medication. I have several close-to-home stories about morphine. Two of them ended very badly. The third was resolved quickly by changing the type of medication.

I do NOT believe we should have to suffer mind alteration as a part of the body alteration that cancer treatments bring. This is true even if you don't "remember" being wacked out.

This subject, being part of a PEG installation makes me happy I did not have one.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.