I have stage 1 cancer in my chhek and top of mouth. Im not sure the exact medical terms for these kinds of oral cancer.
Tomorrow morning I am going into surgery to have the PEG tube and port placements done. Tuesday I am having 3 teeth removed. Wednesday is my hearing test and I pick up my flouride trays. Friday I meet w/ my chemo doctor and next Monday, Aug 6th the real fun begins. Chemo 3 doses w/ radiation starting on the 9th for 7 weeks.
I have found this forum to be very helpful with info and what I can expect. It has given me the emotional support I despertly need.
I am a single mom of 2 teenagers who depend on me. Now suddenly I must depend on them, which is hard for all of us. They know Im sick, but I dont think they realize how bad its going to get, even though I have tried to prepare them. I honestly dont know how Im going to get thru this. Im not at all giving up, I just feel very much alone. I will fight this with all I have and cant wait til next year so I can have a real summer vacation instead of the limitless docotr visits. I really have no one I can talk to about my fears. I do have a 27 year old neice, I cant talk to her because when I try all she does is cry and she tells me she is scared Im going to die. I cant be around the negativity, I must stay focused on beating this disease. Im scared to death that my life now depends on my children who cant ever put their own wants and needs aside. Im going to talk to the hospital support therapist one day next week. I must rely on my son for the 7 weeks to take me back and forth to the hospital. There arent any volunteers in my area to help with transportation.
As far as my job goes, I get 13 weeks paid disability. After that it goes to 1/2 pay which means I cant pay my bills. My plan is to try to get in there one day this week, that will give me another week at the end to recover. If Im able to go in after getting my first chemo does, then that will buy me another week.
This whole situation really really stinks!!!!! Anyone have any suggestions?

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma