Doreen,
What does he like to do that doesn't require interaction with anyone other than you and nature? Take him to the beach. A stroll in the woods. Sit on your porch and watch the birds. Do a puzzle, read some of the the same books.

I am a total laryngectomy but still have my tongue so can talk. However, my voice is getting weaker so don't use it a lot. I never suffered depression after either bout with cancer but did suffer an immense amount of fear after laryngectomy. It wasn't until I went back to work 12 weeks later that I gained any confidence. I did spend those 12 weeks reading and sitting on the beach and jsut enjoying nature since it was the fall. I think that helped. Actually I was supsoed to go back to work after 8 weeks, but tripped over a chair the morning I was returning and fractured my pelvis in three places. That landed me in hospital for 5 days and then on crutches and cane. Enough to piss off the good humor man.

Anyway, I wouldn't push him into company that requires eating and talking until he is ready. If he has problems with mucous from the trach, concerts etc can be troublesome if you have to cough up goop.

What type of neck gear does he wear? Does he have a humidifier? What specific problems is he coping with. I know we are being treated at the same facility and even have some of the same drs. Email me if you like. I will scheduled for an appt at 3:15 on the the 12th. Look me up if you also happen to be there.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I