Hi,
Lee finished treating mid July and still feels so lousy physically. He is so tired and has so many secretions with the trach. He is also depressed and I am not sure how to help. He has seen psychiatrist at urging of social worker and was placed on Ritalin for anti-depressant. He says he feels as if he doesn't fit in anywhere. We have tried to get out a little with people close to us and this makes him fel worse. He says he is reminded constantly of all he can't do- eat, drink, or speak normally. He isn't able to take anything by mouth and not sure if ever will be. The best they're hoping for is some liquids by mouth. He has vocal cords but speech is difficult to no tongue. I guess my question is should I "push" him lovingly to get back to some living or just leave him alone. It seems to only depress him more when he is around others. I can't imagine what he feels and I just want to help. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Doreen

Caregiver to husband Lee-Stage IV SCC base of tongue/epiglottis. Had total glossectomy/partial laryngectomy/ radical neck dissec 4/05 followed by chemo and rad.