Hi Stephany,

Your original question was with regard to what treatments we would recommend. For the most part we aren't in a position to make such recommendatons. The thing we can do is let you know our observations (first hand) and suggest things you might ask her doctors. I think radiation is the most sure way of getting the lowest recurrence rate possible. It also causes very significant side effects and recovery is a challenge. That said, my observation is that I have not heard ANYONE who is surviving this cancer, say they regret their treatments.

A few folks have expressed such regrets when the outcome was that the cancer won the battle. The problem for all of us is how to decide. I'd say don't stop until you know you have won!

As for hypothermic treatments, I have read some about that, I do not believe it has been used in the USA (I may be wrong). I am suspicious about it because you wouldn't find this cancer occuring in folks from Northern Minnesota. wink

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.