Dino. Get the CT/PET scan. This will give you a finite answer if something is actually going on there or not. It still will not be definitive for cancer, but it could reveal some other underlying disease process. None of us is going to be able to, with any certainty, offer you an answer that will satisfy your questions.

Is it unusual to have pain in your throat for a protracted period of time? Yes. Does that mean that it is cancer? No. It could be a many, many benign things. The doctor is willing to write the Rx for the test and put this to bed. I'd go there even if some of it were out of your own pocket. A bunch of lay people, even with life experiences with a cancer cannot do more than speculate on what is going on with you. These observations, other than to get checked completely by a qualified doctor, will not help you resolve this.

I don't recall how many doctors you've seen about this. Can any particular doctor miss something serious? Yes. Perhaps if you got another doctor's opinion, he would find something this ENT hasn't. Bottom line is this, the posters here have done their best to help, but clearly this unresolved issue needs to be addressed by a real doctor finally identifying why you have pain. The most you can do is continue to get medical opinions from progressively more qualified and specialized doctors until a reason is determined. If after all that, they are still telling you that they can find nothing, you will have to come to the conclusion that this pain, which you really physically feel, is being caused by mechanisms not due to biological pathology.

Speaking from my perspective only, I can tell you that right after treatment I had what I thought was a cardiac event. I was sweating, I couldn't catch my breath, I had a pain in my left shoulder, and I was nauseous. A trip to the ER found that I was not having an MI. This happened on several other occasions. These were actually acute anxiety attacks, and the progression of symptoms from just a nervous stomach to the full-blown event were cascade events precipitated by my own sub conscious fear. To a guy who thought he could tough it out through anything and has been through some serious "choke down the fear and move on" events in my life in combat and in medicine, it was almost emasculating for me to have to admit that my subconscious fears were causing this cascade of escalating REAL physical symptoms. I was actually angry that the tough guy I thought I was, was being substituted for by some guy who down deep was scared. I had become my GRANDMOTHER!!!

It wasn't until I learned, with help, to control my anxiety that all this went away. The reason I relate this to you, is not because I think your having anxiety issues, though you may be... it is to illustrate that a persons sub-conscious mind can manifest physical symptoms that are as real as daylight. If all your doctors and tests conclude that there is not an underlying physical pathology, there is only one answer left. Spend the money and get the tests, and also get a second opinion. If all that yields nothing tangible, then you have to consider that the cause is other than biological pathology. But until you pursue all this on your own, posting here, as much as we would like to help you, is not going to give you answers, as you can surely see by now. As much as the people who have replied to you over the last few months would like to have been of some help, we don't have an answer for you.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.