Cat,

You better believe that knowledge is POWER! A good doctor will be happy to answer your questions even if it makes him squirm a little. They are very used to patients taking what they say as gospel and no one challenging them.

Bill's RO's nurse ask me if I was a nurse just because I asked questions using medical terms. I told her no, that I had done my research and needed answers...don't most people??? She said no, they don't... they just go with what the doc offers....yikes! I ask her, while this doc was out of the room, if she thought he was put off by someone that asks informed questions...she said no, that he enjoyed the challenge and the brief respite from the normal stuff. I am not so sure that is true but I was glad to hear it!

Cat, you live and learn from all of this and hopefully become stronger and more of an advocate for your hubby! Bill tells me almost daily, how appreciative he is that I have pushed for the best care possible for him. After the first few days of overwhelm when we got this diagnosis, I realized "If it's to be, it's up to me!" Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill