Good going, Cat! As a Caregiver to my son, I found that it really helped me to be able to do something - anything, to feel somewhat in control. I had to explain this to my son at times when he was feeling down about everything he could not do and when it was necessary for me to do the things he had always done for himself previously. Everyone needs to feel some control and so, I would try to give him choices so he could still be the "decider", like "Do you want yogurt or a milkshake?" or "Do you want to drive to the hospital or should I?" We developed a sign language: two or three choices would be holding up 2 or 3 fingers. Yes was thunbs up, no - thumbs down, or a shrug of the shoulders, etc. It gets really rough for a while, especially three weeks post end of treatment but it does get better.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)