Mariam,
Hi. I am so sorry to hear about your father. His diagnosis sounds similar to my mom's. My mother was given Carboplatin rather than Cisplatin. In all honesty, she reacted as well as we could have wished to the Carboplatin - no hair loss, minimal vomiting. The radiation was a bit harder on her, but got better after she was taken off of the Ethyol injections. The PEG tube literally kept my mother alive. It is well worth it. The same goes for her trache. All I can say is that eventhough we went to the cancer center we had originally been referred to, we also went for consultations, one of which was at Sloan Kettering, and another at NYU. I suggest that you get as many opinions as you feel comfortable. It was amazingly reassuring for us to hear that she was on the right track, and the doctor at Sloan was also the doctor that basically insisted that my mom have a trache put in as soon as possible when treatments started, since, as he put it, you don't want to have to do that in an emergency situation. We have done more with caring for a trache and feeding tube than I ever expected I would have the mental strenght to do, not to mention the stomach to do, so if there is anything you need feel free to reach out to me. Finally, do whatever research you can. It is only through asking as many questions as you can that you can ask the right questions and get the correct answers. There was recently a long string here regarding the use of carboplatin vs. cisplatin and it sounds like that would be a good place for you to start. Best of luck to you and your family, and keep strong. Everyone on these boards is absolutely amazing and will become the best source of knowledge and support you could ever hope for.

Amy

Caretaker to my best friend, my mom. Age 60 - never smoked or drank. St IVA oropharynx. 37 radiation tx, 8 carboplatin tx. Diag 5/31/07-TX completed 8/16/07-good PET 10/10/07. Passed away 3/28/08 due to weakened blood vessels from tx. Now watching over her triplet grandsons born on 5/19/08.