Matt my experience is similar to yours. I saw four surgeons over four years. The first three made me feel like I was wasting their time. The "Three Surgical Stooges" all called my mobile hard painless lump a cyst. My training and my brain was not comfortable with this diagnosis.
The fourth surgeon "Superman" told me it is most likely a cyst but if you want it gone I'll remove it. It came back "clear cell sarcoma". A very agressive form of connective tissue cancer and the rarest of the sarcomas.
My thought process for myself, family and patients is this: Any lump,bump, sore spot, discoloration etc. must be excisionally biopsied.
I would rather see more biopsies of benign or innocent lesions than mis/undiagnosed cancers. With that said we are not bilaterally symmetrical. It is not uncommon especially in the head and neck region to have small less than 2 cm bumps under the skin or mucosa.
If you don't like not knowing what this is, insist it be biopsied. If your current Doctor won't remove it find someone who will.
I hope this helps you.

Banish the bumps,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.