Hello Laura and Oscar

I am so glad you have had something positive happen. Doesn't it suck (excuse me) that he had to quit his job to get help? Believe you me I went through enough WTF"s to last a lifetime.

Here is the positive thing. Once you see the first doctor you are "in the system" they have to take care of you.

When SS calls make sure you explain to them that he has cancer and that they would not help him because he was employed. That is why he quit his job. Also, he would not be able to work once he had started treatments. My doctor wrote on a RX that I would be disabled for 6 months. He will need that long to recover after the radiation.

I am not a doctor, and have not been through this. (Just starting) But I read this on this site. You can do a search here on radiation and you can verify what I say is true in most cases.

As far as the medication he needs something much stronger. Again YOU MUST put your foot down. Look the doctor in the eye and tell him Oscar has cancer and is not getting treatment. Therefore he is not getting better, he is getting worse. They gave me percodan and they did not help. Then percocette. Then I went on line and printed out from the RX book and he wrote me a RX for Oxycodone 30 mg. That did the trick.

DO NOT let SS give you the run around. I hate to bring it up but you must tell them he has a 40% to 50% shot at this. He must not be turned down. (DO NOT READ INTO THE PERCENTAGE ASPECT, EVERY CASE IS DIFFERENT)

Laura...You are handling this as best as possible. Try to relax a little. You have made great progress. Once he starts treatment the sinking feelings will ease up. You have done everything possible. Continue to be the loving wife you are to your whole family. You are the "glue" holding everything together right now. My prayers are with you.

I will write back shortly. Petey

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07