Hello,
It's been a while since I posted anything, but I wanted you to know that Pat finished her 33rd radiation Tx on 5/2/07. Total treatment also included 9 Erbitux Tx.

Her symptoms all increased and got worse after treatment as expected. In fact sixteen days after treatment I'm just now starting to see some modest signs of improvement. For example, the ulcers in Pat's mouth are starting to lessen in number and are not as painful. What a blessing this has been. In fact, today she took about three sips of ice tea. (Only H&N patients and caregivers could appreciate something as simple as this.)

One of the things I noticed is that even after Tx the Erbitux rash + radiation burns got much worse. To help combat this I concocted my own little approach which goes something like this.

In the morning I use a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and water and I apply it to gauze sponges and then apply this gently to the skin on Pat's neck. The process takes a while but eventually you'll see the dead skin start to bubble up. I use a wet sponge to debride the skin and keep going until it's all gone. The front of her neck plus the back of her neck are the problems areas and it's quite extensive so this process takes a while. Once the skin is debrided, I apply a generous amount of Elidel cream. Elidel is a Rx antibiotic cream that the MO Rx'd. I let this soak into the skin for about thirty minutes and after that I apply a liberal coating of Bag Balm. Bag Balm is similar to Utter Cream, but in my experience much better. Needless to say, I use rubber goloves during this whole process to avod spreading germs. I repeat this process in the afternoon, and again in the evening before she settles down for the night.

Following the application of Bag Balm, I take about a dozen 4x4 sponges and soak them in clean water. I apply these to the skin over the Bag Balm. Prior to this step I make a donut collar out of dry 4x4 sponges. I tape them together with the 3M paper tape in the shape of a donut collar. So, once I have the wet sponges applied, I place the dry donut collar over top of it to soak up some of the moisture from the wet sponges, plus provide a protective layer. I put a couple of pieces of tape where the layers crisscross in the back of her neck and everything stays in place.

This has worked well so far and Pat says that the coolness of the moist sponges is very soothing. Thus far we're seeing a little improvement each day. I've found from trial and error that this is much more desirable that the usual crocodle skin that is common with Erbitux and Radiation Tx.

I have continued with Pat's hydration Tx each day, seven days a week. From our experience I can't see why anyone undergoing this type of Tx would not insist on hydration Tx each day. It's really made a big difference with Pat.

Anyway, that's what is new with us. Our thanks to all. God bless. Any questions please ask.

------------
CG to my wife Pat. SCC base of tongue. Dx 2/07 - T2N3bM0. Single lymph node dissection 2/07. Tx started 3/07. Expecting 8 rounds of Erbitux and 30 to 35 rounds IMRT radiation when complete. Trusting the Lord no matter what.