Jeff.....do it now. My dentist did not recognize my lesion.....on my gums, which spread to my palate....not to scare you, but it was red and flat, with some white spots. It changed a bit from day to day, but it did not get better. The part on my gums was sore, but the rest of it was not, so that is not a test. I don't want to scare you, but I do want to urge you to get an excisional biopsy, not just the brush test. If the brush test is negative, will you trust it? Anybody you see will do the biopsy while you are there, and will send it off immediately. It will take a few days for the report perhaps..perhaps not. Mine was sent away, and I still had the report in five days, including a weekend. In San Diego, you should have it faster. The ENT can do the biopsy, but the dentist should not.

Why not CALL the dentist for the referral to the ENT? that would save a step. The dentist would possibly have an opinion, but it is out of his area of expertise....or at least it was out of MY dentist's area of expertise, and it cost me dearly, in a number of ways.

Don't wait. Please. If it is nothing, please let us know so we can celebrate with you. And if it is something worrisome, let us know that too, so we can worry with you.

...sorry if I sound pushy....but I feel very strongly about this, since your description sounds like mine. Maybe it is an injury from eating scratchy food. How long has it been there? That is important to know. If it has been there as long as two weeks without noticeable improvement, it is most likely pretty important that you get attention very soon.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!