Hi Karen and welcome to the site.

Jill shared her story with you and it's a sad one, her fathers life was taken by this cancer. But, know that there are MANY of us here that completed treatments and are here many years later to tell our stories. I had a stage 4 cancer three years ago and am doing fine. I had half of my lower jaw removed, neck nodes taken out, and radiation..............I live a wonderful, normal, full life. Few minor adjustments had to be made along the way because of some side effects, but, very manageable. We are constantly having to make adjustment as we go along the road of life, so this is just one more for us cancer patients. Support your father and help him believe he will have a positive outcome. Ask questions here and let us help you.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.