Hi Karen, I too had a Dad with this tough diagnosis. All I can tell you is this: My Dad has now moved on from this world and I know he is at peace. It was not an enjoyable 11 months, for any of us, and yes, I too cried at times like I did when I was a baby, but my Dad and I grew so much together in the last 11 months.....
I can't help but say that cancer may have a bright side if we are able to stand back, take a deep breath and jump into the battle with our hearts, hands and our heads. I did so much traveling back and forth between my home and my Dad's over the last year, (only about 2 hours, but with a new baby in tow.) I was totally exhausted all the time, would cry at the drop of a hat, and irritable with my husband and children not to mention terrified and frustrated and trying to hide it all from my over-protective Father. But, long story short, we bucked up, faced this F**KER!!!!! Sorry, but sometimes you have to get mad!!!!! My Dad lost this battle in the end but he gained so much respect and so much love from me, my husband, my sister, her family, his girlfriend....the list goes on and on. I know that he died knowing he has never been more loved in his life.
I guess what I am trying to say is hold on tight for a bumpy, terrifying, and emotional yet somehow fulfilling ride. Cancer cannot take the best of you, not even close. It may take your life, it took my Dad's, but it did not take his essence and the love that we all had for him, and him for us. THAT LIVES FOREVER!
If you need to talk, ever, please don't hesitate to email me.
Take care,
Jill, daughter to Bob who bravely fought for 11 months and then passed with me in his arms.