RLM,
I had an appointment scheduled for a second opinion at Methodist Hospital, one of our major private hospitals. My cousin, who was a radiologist at the other major private hospital, referred me to an oncologist there, telling me, " you won't like it at M.D. Anderson, it is just too big and impersonal." Well, after meeting my team at M.D. Anderson, including a very arrogant Chilean/German surgeon, who happened to be the long-time chairman of the Head and Neck Department, a radiation onc. with no personality, and a very personable oncoligist, I decided to stay at M.D. Anderson. I never went for the second opinion.
Although my cousin was correct about the size of the place and at times I had to become a squeaky wheel to get some attention or some help, (I still give em' hell occasionally) here I am, almost 4 years later, alive and well. My original ENT doc who did the biopsy, said "you have an aggressive tumor and MDACC treats cancer aggressively." I think that I made the right decision.

Best of luck with your treatment and recovery.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.