Hi Jeanne,

Welcome to the forum, though i’m sorry that you need to join our group of friends. If it is base of tongue, the most common treatments are radiation and chemo. It is just too difficult to reach the oropharynx in surgery — one RO commented that the doctors would have to cut out the tongue and break the jaw to reach the cancer. Whether the cance is HPV positive or not won’t change the treatment plan. My husband’s voice wasn’t afffected by his treatments though he did suffer slight hearing loss.

Mike has given you excellent advice with regards to record keeping. I assume ChristineB will be by soon to give you some info about hydration and nutrition so I won’t talk about that now. You and your husband may like to consider eating all his favorite foods now before the treatment begins. What with swallowing difficulties and taste changes, it may be a while before he can enjoy good food. Hang in there, you can do it.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.