Welcome to OCF, Trevor! Im very sorry you have a need for our group but we will help you with info and support. You are doing a great job at being your own best advocate and pushing to get your diagnosis. Most patients know when something isnt right and sometimes getting a doctor to listen and follow thru isnt easy to do.

Radiation treatments for most patients arent easy. Many here who have gone thru rads after being diagnosed with HPV+ OC have an easier time than those HPV-. You didnt mention chemo (unless I missed it), will you be getting chemo?

Focusing on what you have within your control, you may sail right thru rads with barely any noticeable side effects. By focusing on your intake it will help you to get thru this easier. Every day you must hit the minimum of at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. If you can do more thats even better. With your treatments starting very soon, I suggest eating all your favorite foods. Im not sure why you arent able to eat but you arent the first patient who drank their formula to get thru treatment. Are you able to eat soft, easy to eat foods like yogurt, applesauce, soups, or pudding? Do you know when you are getting the feeding tube?

If you havent already done so contact the American Cancer Society. They can help you with several things. First they run a driving program that matches patients with drivers to help get you back and forth to treatments and appointments. You might only get someone to help you by taking you a couple times a week or you could get lucky and hit it off with a driver nd they take you every day. The drivers are all survivors and caregivers. I drive patients in my area on occasion. There is also a program to give you up to $300 to cover your transportation costs or a voucher at your pharmacy to cover medicine co-pays. These programs have paperwork to do that needs your doctor to sign so it can take a couple weeks but ,its well worth it. If you had planned on driving yourself to treatments, you might want to consider having others help you when you start feeling the side effects. Most patients take strong pain medicine so its not safe to drive.

Anyone who offer to help you get thru this, take their contact info and let them know you will let them know when the time comes what they can do. Friends and relatives genuinely want to help but often they dont know what they can do to help. Theres a million little things that add up to many tasks others can do to help. Walking the dog, picking up medications from the pharmacy, picking up groceries, doing a load of laundry or even mowing the grass all can help your tremendously when you arent feeling the best.

Hope this info helps you get ready for your treatments. Please ask questions, we'll be happy to help you. Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma