Hi All,

I appreciate more than ever that I've gotten to age 70 with no major problems. I had a mastoid infection at 3 years old. That was the last time I was admitted to a hospital. But now we have a winner. I had coldlike symptoms around the first of the year, so a sore throat seemed like part of it. When it continued into February along with what I thought were typical tongue blisters, I investigated further. I have care with the VA, but chose to avoid a long ER wait by using Medicare at an urgent care. I figured they could confirm or rule out strep. Tested negative, but the young doc there strongly recommend seeing an ENT. I passed on the symptoms and his thoughts by email to my VA primary, whom I normally have great faith in. Her nurse called a few days later and started yammering about acid reflux. I wasn't even listening. By then lymph nodes behind my ear were swollen. So again, I used Medicare to find my own ENT and chose well. He examined me March 13th with a scope and sent me for bloodwork, CT, and FNA of that left lymph node, done March 23rd.

The cancer diagnosis came back in early April. It pays to be proactive. Acid reflux my.... The ENT wanted a PET scan next, but I'm on Social Security and knowing the out-of-pocket after Medicare would be a big chunk of the $11K PET, I had to go back to VA. At least this time they were listening and the care has been very attentive. My tumor is a bit large for "the robot" (surgery). I start RAD this Monday (May22) and chemo probably a couple days later. These last 2 weeks have been the prep and learning curve plus healing from having all my lower molars removed ahead of the RAD. The diagnosis actually wasn't that shocking. I knew there was something very wrong.

What I didn't expect was how brutal the treatment will be and some of the permanent effects. It amounts to "we can probably keep you alive, but it won't be the same". I may be able to chew again as a Christmas present. Until then it's Glucerna and the PEG (also coming soon). This story isn't anything new, I'm sure, for the folks here, and my HPV-16 related tumor under my tongue is nowhere near as frightening as some of the other cases. I'm apprehensive, but hopeful. I've ordered my first-ever passport and planning to visit Europe in the Fall. P.S. get your teens vaccinated for HPV.

Trevor

Age 70
FNA biopsy March 2017
Dx SCC BOT Size T2, stage 3 April 2017
RAD started May 22
Chemo began May 24, Getting 3 rounds of Cisplatin