Hi Amy,

Sorry to hear that you're feeling discouraged. From my perspective & knowing how I felt after my own surgery, I'd say you're doing quite well, if you're already able to log onto a website & type out a coherent post like this. Three days after my surgery, I was still pretty much out of it, with a nasty tracheostomy that needed a lot of attention, oxygen tube, nasal feeding tube, IV, catheter, and heavily bandaged basically immobilizing my wrist, thigh and neck (where the flap, skin graft and neck dissection sites were located).

You've gone through a fairly significant surgery and it's going to take some time to heal. If your team of doctors decide that you'll need some radiation to make sure that there's no sneaky little cancer cells hiding out at the margins of the portion of your tongue that was removed, they'll probably wait a couple of months to begin.

So what can you do in the next few weeks? Well, rest up, let others take care of you for once & try not to worry too much about what may or may not happen. Everyone has a slightly different experience & different difficulties with the healing process. I hope it goes well for you. After I got out of the hospital, I recovered pretty quickly and got back to the new normal in reasonably short order, with minor setbacks when I had the radiation treatments. It didn't keep me down though. Keep fighting!

Dx 2014Jan29 (42 yr old otherwise fit nonsmoker)
SCC tongue stage III T3N0M0
subtotal glossectomy, partial neck dissection, RFFF, trach, NG tube 2014Feb25 16 days in hospital
RAD 25 zaps 2014May5-2014Jun9
Back to work, paddling & hiking shortly afterwards