Karen,I won't put my experience down as normal as there were complications. Rare as I've seen here on the board, guess I was just lucky.

The operation is an excellent one and should be if not a breeze than something far this side of a hurricane. Mainly I felt stiff and a little weird for awhile, but those feelings subsided.

Although there was some pain while I was in the hospital, they managed it very well and there was little residual pain. Now 6 years out I'm just left with some tongue numbness and a bit of stiffness on the left side that frankly I don't even notice any more.

You'll come through it with flying colors I'm sure!

We're here to help, so ask any and all questions.

(oh and I recommend that you NOT do what I did: watch the whole operation on YouTube the week before!)

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18