Keepfaith,

I'm very sorry to hear you are facing some tough decisions. I've been there so I know how you are feeling.

Months after my first surgery in 2005, I found out the hospital pathologist botched my biopsy and I had cancer at the margins. I went to 3 different hospitals (3 ENTs, 2 ROs) and had multiple tests to determine what to do. The recommendations varied greatly, and after many sleepless nights I opted for RT.

In January 2010 I found out the cancer was back (same location). Again, I went for multiple opinions, and got vastly different treatment recommendations which varied from very aggressive surgery to relatively "minor" surgery. Radiation was not recommended since i did and still have a host of problems because of RT. This time I went to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, which is one of the best in the US for H&N cancer. Best move I made. The doctor I saw was great, spent nearly an hour discussing my options with my husband and me, and most importantly I felt he was the right surgeon for me. His treatment made the most sense for me even though it was the least aggressive. So I had the surgery (clean margins) in April 2010. A year later I had another surgery due to dysplasia, but I've been in the NED category since.

Perhaps seek an additional opinion at Hopkins or MD Anderson (Texas) - both are rated as in the top 5 in the USA and I believe both offer a remote review of your case. In my situation, I was hoping there was a consensus on treatment recommendations by seeking multiple opinions, but there wasn't and ultimately I had to choose which treatment "felt right" and pray I made the right decision!

Wishing you the best!

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)