Hello, Keepfaith. I haven't had radiation twice but I've had recurrent tongue and oral cancers like you. Not so close together but three incidents all up. Your 2014 must have been very hard.

Because I haven't suffered too much from RT, I don't see it as a total life-changer. I'm certainly not qualified to advise you but a part of me wants you to have the treatment because it could save you from recurrences. If two hospitals have advised it ...?

What were the severe side effects they mentioned? Salivary glands, taste buds, jaw? I know people on this site have had RT twice but can't remember them describing the side effects.

I think what I would do is go back to the original doctor and thrash the issue out with him/her once again. And best wishes.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.