Hi All-
I hope I'm posting in the correct section. Four weeks ago I had surgery to remove a recurring cancer on the left side of my tongue. I had a hemiglossectomg but it was more than half of my tongue. I'm starting to talk and people close to me can understand me the best. Eating is impossible at this point and I'm relying on the PEG tube.

I'm posting because I'm being suggested to have chemo with radiation. I know that this is usually standard after major surgery but this would be my second time receiving radiation to my oral cavity. I'm very concerned. My margins came back negative but because of perineural invasion in the past and present tumor and the pathology slides showed breakage of cell clusters from the main tumor they recommend another round of radiation but with chemo to sensitize the cells.

I'm torn because there is a chance I have no cancer and will go through treatment for no reason and will have to live with the long term side effects. Even with treatment there is a chance it could come back.If I don't do treatment and there is cancer there then it will be too late to do further treatment once it becomes visible on a scan. The question is do I toss the coin and take the chance? Quality vs quantity of life...

Very confused

Tongue Cancer 2004- biopsy irritated skin, 2014 biopsy precancerous, February,2014 partial glossectomy- diagnosed with microscopic cancer- April 2014- partial glossectomy- microscopic cancer /cancer in nerve, June 2014- external radiation July, 2014, brachytherapy, July 2015 biopsy- cancer (about 2 cm)/also in nerve moved more toward front of tongue, August 2015 Hemiglossectomy reconstructed with arm flap 2/3 tongue removed