Patients with a feeding tube need to be careful when lifting or doing anything physical. Avoid lifting anything over about 15 pounds. More than that and it pulls on the feeding tube which will cause granulation (which hurts like heck!).

At the feeding tube site, ask the doc for some silver sulfadine cream or you can also use something like a dab of neosporin ointment around the site. Cover it with a couple drain sponges. You may want to secure the tube to have more comfort. There are all kinds of ways to do that. Some patients will wrap an ace bandage around their stomach. Ive even heard of patients using those pregnancy bands as well.

Your daily intake needs to be high enough to prevent weight loss. This can quickly spiral out of control. Going into treatment you need to keep every single pound you can. Every single day your minimums to hit should be at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. If you can take more in that will only help make treatments easier and help you to recover from surgery. Dont be afraid of gaining weight, your goal should be to maintain your original weight. By losing weight during treatments it means your body is fighting so much its burning up more calories than you are taking in. This really is one of the most important things to focus on. I cant stress it enough to monitor your intake and push yourself to make the daily goals. Ive seen far too many go thru treatments and suffer greatly due to not taking in enough calories and water. I was one of those patients myself and cursed myself for being so weak as I lay in the hospital feeling horrible. I hope you can avoid getting into that cycle.

Best wishes with your continued recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma