Hi Folks!

Getting used to the new reality after free flap surgery (grafts healing, open trachea SLOWLY closing, GTube feedings, etc.). Life is not too bad. The only challenges I am having is that the GTube (PEG?) site is sore, I feel like I have to hold my stomach when I walk. Is this normal or something that I will have to live with for the next 3-4 months?

Update after surgery is that even though there is no metastases or nodal involvement, they want to do 4-6 weeks radiation and 'baby' chemo. I know this is insurance, but need to gather more information to solidify it in my own mind. Thinking about second opinion from City of Hope. Again, not disagreeing with their recommendation, I just want to know everything I can going into this. Thoughts?

The only other thing I am having a bit of a struggle with is smelling food and wanting to EAT. Not even on a liquid diet yet. My relatives are great cooks and while I am very thankful they are feeding my hubby, smelling it is torture. I have asked them to eat out and they are pretty good about it, and the formula feedings definitely help. Any word on how long until they let you start a liquid diet orally?

Thanks guys smile

11/2014 - DX SCC, S3N0M0
Non-smoker/drinker/drugs, no cancer of any kind in family, HPV negative
2/10/15 neck dissection, nodes removed (all clear), moderately differentiated mass removed from cheek & hinge of jaw, free flap graft. Clear margins. Micro infiltration into some of the vascular structures in the local area of tumor. PEG tube 1 week later
4/6/15 - Begin 40 Rads & 4 rounds Cisplatin
5/27/15 - rads & chemo complete.
12/5/15 - PET/CT clear. Watch & wait...